How Does It Feel --- Demo Version?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

How Does It Feel --- Demo Version?

Postby redgumball » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am

Hate to bring this up, but does anyone know if there is a demo version or a rough mix out there for the classic Bunnymen SPICE GIRLs single -

(How does it feel to be) On the top of the world?

-- I figured that there may be a raw demo that only features EATB doing the roughs and that it may be floating on a bootleg somewhere? Maybe a demo version?

I know the original song release listed under this site's discography lists a few versions, but they all suck. I know -- I have the CD. Besides they have Cast and the Spice Girls on 'em. :mad:

I thought I would ask, as there are some solid collectors on here. If not here, where?

I would be eternally grateful@! :lol: :wink:
redgumball

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:40 am

I can't answer that question, but there was supposed to be a Spice Girl/Ocean Colur Scene/Cast bloke-less demo version recorded. The b-side instrumental was the only decent bit of that fiasco. Great guitar bits from Will. I still cringe to think of the recorded version of that song.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:09 am

"How Does It Feel" actually came from the mystical Mac & Marr recordings/demos which Mac claims were stolen from the back of a van, hence their disappearence........... Believe that and you believe anything !

So there should be a version which does not feature the Spice Girls et all, but it will not feature Will either .....

As far as am aware these demos/recordings are the holy grail for bunnymen collectors and i've yet to hear from anyone who actually has these tracks..........

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:30 am

This always intrigues me. What was the reason that the Mac-Marr demoes disappeared?
moondance

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 am

moondance wrote:This always intrigues me. What was the reason that the Mac-Marr demoes disappeared?

When the collaboration was first announced, the NME ran a blurb that said that Johnny Marr was busy writing songs for Ian, implying that Ian couldn't write a song by himself. That always pissed me off.

I wasn't surprised when the songs were mysteriously lost. I pictured Johnny Marr throwing the master tapes into a roaring fire. But leave it to Ian to resurrect some of them through Electrafixion. The master of recycling.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Frank The Bunny » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 am

moondance wrote:This always intrigues me. What was the reason that the Mac-Marr demoes disappeared?

The legend is that the master tapes were stolen from the back of a courier van. Bullshit story to be sure.

The following is sheer conjecture, but is probably close to the truth:

Johnny Marr is a musician. He loves to record. He loves to perform.

Ian McNosecandy is a rock star. He loves to be adored. He loves the hedonism that goes with rockstardom.

Unfortunately for Ian McBoozer, Mr. Marr is not the meek, quiet creature that say, a Will Sergeant is.

With McCulloch/Sergeant recordings, Ian hands Will a demo then goes off to the pub.
Will and the hired hands record the instrumental portion of the song. Sometime later, Ian will come back and record vocals.

Johnny Marr is more into the collaborative process. Musicians sitting around, playing and singing, until the song is fleshed out. Then they press "record". If there's nobody there to collaborate with, nothing is recorded.

I don't think any McCulloch/Marr sessions were ever recorded.

I think the "sessions" were a good excuse for McOverindulgence to get away from the wife and kiddies for a while to marinate his liver and put stuff up his nose.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:I don't think any McCulloch/Marr sessions were ever recorded.

That's an interesting premise. I'm glad something of use came out of reading that post.

And while your premise is interesting and possible, something got created. Otherwise Marr would not have received any subsequent writing credits.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby guitarplayer on here too » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 am

What with the Spice Girls doing their reunion tour at the moment, I wonder if How does it feel has crept into their setlist.

Quite imagine it. "Yeah Girl Power... thank you for coming.... we love you all... and now for our next song.... the greatest song ever written .... How does it feel? To feel on Top of the World la la la" Pah.
guitarplayer on here too

Postby moondance » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks Frank....I think :eek:

BTW: I agree with the collaboration part of what you wrote. I think that's probably why Les left.
moondance

Postby Frank The Bunny » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:28 am

Fish Hook Girl wrote:That's an interesting premise. I'm glad something of use came out of reading that post.

And while your premise is interesting and possible, something got created. Otherwise Marr would not have received any subsequent writing credits.

I'm sure there was a night or two where Marr & Mac sat down and Ian sang some leftover lyrics (as he seems to do), accompanied by Marr.

But I would bet nothing got completely fleshed out.

So, Marr walks away pissed that nothing's been done, and he's wasted his time. McCulloch walks away with a new tune in his head to go along with his recycled lyrics...

And he and Will kiss & make up.

"Come on, baby. Johnny doesn't understand me like you do. Give me one more try, and I'll come flaking back to you."
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:40 am

Frank The Bunny wrote:I don't think any McCulloch/Marr sessions were ever recorded.

I think the "sessions" were a good excuse for McOverindulgence to get away from the wife and kiddies for a while to marinate his liver and put stuff up his nose.

Firstly the sessions were recorded as both Marr and McCulloch have confirmed this many times, although the both go with the lost tapes theory......

What I have heard was simply by the time the demo's were finished Mac had made up with Will, and was in the process of forming Elactrfixion. thus the demo's were no longer required. Although Mac did use some of these tracks on Burned, plus Marr claims that "Nothing Lasts Forever" was one of the tracks they worked on......

Finally if the sessions never existed Frank why on earth would Electrafixion credit Marr on two tracks of Burned......

Jimbo
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:03 am

guitarplayer on here too wrote:What with the Spice Girls doing their reunion tour at the moment, I wonder if How does it feel has crept into their setlist.

Quite imagine it. "Yeah Girl Power... thank you for coming.... we love you all... and now for our next song.... the greatest song ever written .... How does it feel? To feel on Top of the World la la la" Pah.

Do you really think the Spice Girls even remember recording that song? And is Posh Spice's breasts really deflating? :eek:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Frank The Bunny » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:11 am

Grumpy_Jimbo wrote:Finally if the sessions never existed Frank why on earth would Electrafixion credit Marr?

My premise is that recordings never existed. One does not need to record a song for that song to exist. Marr put a tune to Mac's leftover lyrics. From there forward, If Mac used any element of that piece, he's legally and ethically bound to give Marr credit, whether or not a recording was ever made
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:05 pm

moondance wrote:
BTW: I agree with the collaboration part of what you wrote. I think that's probably why Les left.

I'm sure I've read an interview with Les where, around the time of WAYGTDWYL, he said Mac was busy inventing the past with regards to how they write songs i.e. Mac's version was that he always turned up with songs and the rest of them just fleshed them out.
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Seven Seas » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:14 pm

With the Spice Girls reuniting & touring soon, I wonder if this single will be included? Do you think this will be in somewhat of a conjunction to the RAH gig/them as guests? No offense but, IMHO, I hope not.
Seven Seas

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen