Question about the Pictures On My Wall single

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Question about the Pictures On My Wall single

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm currently revamping the Discography section and have run across some contradictions. What does the color or the original very first single look like is it yellow or is it black and silver? What color is the one that has the voodoo billy thing in the runoff?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:48 pm

the voodoo billy one is yellow w/blue writing on Zoo! label.
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:50 pm

This is how I understand it:

4,000 only, "The Revenge Of Voodoo Billy" scratched in B-side run-off, label either blue lettering on yellow or green on light gray. There is also a 7" released on Cage in 1979 with the same catalog number with no message in the run-off

I saw thi one on Ebay

Maybe thats the green on light gray? His description says black/silver
Last edited by Mr. Brian on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:52 pm

the very first ones are the ones with the revenge of voodoo billy in the run-off groove, as far as i know. i have another original pressing too, but from after the voodoo billy thing, and that's got the yellow and blue label, but the blue is more royal/darker blue, and the voodoo billy one is a turquoise blue, same yellow.
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 pm

was there one that was given away free with the purchase of some other album...? it may be the one with the darker blue, although it's dated 1979 CAGE 004 B (the voodoo billy ones say CAGE 004 B also.)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:35 pm

what does he mean the yellow/blue ones are reissues???? i know the voodoo billy ones are originals from 1979! and they're yellow/blue!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Red wrote:what does he mean the yellow/blue ones are reissues???? i know the voodoo billy ones are originals from 1979! and they're yellow/blue!

That's why I posted this. I thought I had some info wrong

So the yellow/lighter blue with the runoff is the very first one with only 4000 made, right? The yellow/darker blue has no voodoo billy and I guess there were more pressings? Or is that 4000 total for any yellow/blue label with or without voodoo billy?

very clearly the Ebay person has a black/silver or green/gray label, was that the one that was given away maybe?

and all of them were Cage 004 B?
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:03 pm

So the yellow/lighter blue with the runoff is the very first one with only 4000 made, right? The yellow/darker blue has no voodoo billy and I guess there were more pressings? Or is that 4000 total for any yellow/blue label with or without voodoo billy?

not sure about the 2nd pressing being included or not in the 4,000. good question! i didn't think there were that many voodoo billy ones, but maybe there were!

very clearly the Ebay person has a black/silver or green/gray label, was that the one that was given away maybe?

well, i have one of the ones that were given away free w/something, and i don't have the one he's got showing there. mine are all yellow/blue, and are dated 1979. so i'm quite baffled, to be honest! i never even saw, or knew about, the one he's got!

and all of them were Cage 004 B?

all the ones i have, both with and w/out the Voodoo Billy run off thing, are CAGE 004 B, yes! hope i was helpful in some way.....although i'm confused now as to what that guy is selling! (and i personally never knew about the grey/green thing...where'd you find that info Brian? just curious. i don't try to pretend to know everything, but i honestly am now baffled by all this! lol)
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:34 pm

This is what I have:

Yellow label with light/medium blue (almost turquoise color) stripes. The revenge of voodoo billy is in the run off on side B.

Yellow label with dark blue (almost purple) stripes. The revenge of voodoo billy is in the run off on side B.

Silver and black label (not paper, but pressed into the vinyl) with nothing in the run off.

I thought the silver and black label was the reissue and was relatively worthless, as compared to the original release. The ebay seller has this reissue. Look at the bigger picture.

I'm not sure which of the yellow labels came first. I thought it was the one with the lighter colored stripes. But if anyone has both of these compare the sleeve. At the opening, there's a cut out, like an envelope would have. The one with the lighter blue stripes has the cut out in the back of the sleeve, while the one with the darker blue stipes has the cut out on the front of the sleeve. And the paper used on the darker stripes version is much heavier than the other. Plus, the folding on the lighter stripes version is haphazard and poorly done, unlike the darker blue stripes version. I think the lighter blue version is the first copy.
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:53 pm

wow, thank FHG and red. This all really helps!
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Fish Hook Girl wrote:I thought the silver and black label was the reissue and was relatively worthless, as compared to the original release. The ebay seller has this reissue. Look at the bigger picture.

I'm not sure which of the yellow labels came first. I thought it was the one with the lighter colored stripes. But if anyone has both of these compare the sleeve. At the opening, there's a cut out, like an envelope would have. The one with the lighter blue stripes has the cut out in the back of the sleeve, while the one with the darker blue stipes has the cut out on the front of the sleeve. And the paper used on the darker stripes version is much heavier than the other. Plus, the folding on the lighter stripes version is haphazard and poorly done, unlike the darker blue stripes version. I think the lighter blue version is the first copy.

yep! i have them both (both yellow ones)..but mine with the darker blue doesn't have the run off groove voodoo billy thing....but i agree with all the rest, the stuff about the sides and stuff and thickness of paper being different, but i don't have the one the ebay seller has, although he's trying to say his is the original. i don't think so! i agree with FHG about the lighter blue one being the first one!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:36 pm

Red wrote:yep! i have them both (both yellow ones)..but mine with the darker blue doesn't have the run off groove voodoo billy thing....but i agree with all the rest, the stuff about the sides and stuff and thickness of paper being different, but i don't have the one the ebay seller has, although he's trying to say his is the original. i don't think so!

I think the Ebay seller is trying to talk up his copy in order to get a better price. The silver/black version is definitely the reissue. It looks really cheap in comparison to the other copies.

There must have been two releases of the darker blue stripe. One had the voodoo billy thing in the run off, while the other one didn't. I checked my copy twice, in order to make sure the voodoo billy thing was there! LOL!
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:38 pm

admin wrote:wow, thank FHG and red. This all really helps!

Your welcome Brian. I knew tracking this stuff down and buying it way back when would come in handy some day! :mrgreen:
Fish Hook Girl

Postby Red » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:39 pm

I think the Ebay seller is trying to talk up his copy in order to get a better price. The silver/black version is definitely the reissue. It looks really cheap in comparison to the other copies.

that's what i thought about the seller trying to get more money! some poor sap that doesn't know any better will believe him!

There must have been two releases of the darker blue stripe. One had the voodoo billy thing in the run off, while the other one didn't. I checked my copy twice, in order to make sure the voodoo billy thing was there! LOL!

yeah, that's weird!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Fish Hook Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Red wrote:I think the Ebay seller is trying to talk up his copy in order to get a better price. The silver/black version is definitely the reissue. It looks really cheap in comparison to the other copies.

that's what i thought about the seller trying to get more money! some poor sap that doesn't know any better will believe him!

Or maybe he just got this thing and who he bought it from told him that this was the first release and he took them at their word.

I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone has the interest in Bunnymen releases that we have.... Very sad, indeed.
Fish Hook Girl

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen