Reverberation

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Reverberation

Postby withahip » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:45 am

Did we cover this here already? Since it was brought up on the Meg BOF 2010

I am listening to it with the suggestion that the band is called Pickled Onions rather than EATB.

Cut & Dried sounds excellent. The guitars are very Ocean Rain and Porcupine - even though it is not the same band. Oops.

The lyrics, though, like on Thick Skinned World, Seneseless - all the tunes really sound like a lecture. The melodies in the vocals just aren't very catchy.

The music itself is some of the best Will and Les ever made. Flaming Red is fantastic. I heard they wrote it for one fan in particular.
withahip
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Reverberation

Postby the ghost of guitarplayer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

withahip wrote:Did we cover this here already?

Probably and Dr Evil probably came in saying that Noel Burke should replace Mac, or that they should play it live in its full entirety.

I only listened to the whole album recently, having only listened to so-so samples. I quite like what I heard, it does sound Bunnymenish, although all the tunes aren't particularly catchy or memorable. It kind of builds on Ocean Rain for the sound though. Flaming Red actually comes a close second to The Killing Moon... very similar type sound. I quite like Noel Burke's vocal style as well, but he is still no Mac, who was still an excellent singer at that the point.
Last edited by the ghost of guitarplayer on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
the ghost of guitarplayer
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby tonywojo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:40 pm

will sitar
i sometimes use caps and punctuation for emphasis
tonywojo
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Evil » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Actually I just didn't "get" Reverberation at all for the first few listens. Like Heaven Up Here, it's a grower. Eventually I became fanatical about it. "Thick Skinned World" takes over where "No Dark Things" left off. I'd say Noel made them even more Bunnymen than the original.
Dr Evil

Postby DivaDiana77 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Maybe I can find it collecting dust in the EATB bin at Amoeba.

"He has left the band" had a nice voice. And it certainly was interesting stuff. Meanwhile, Ian did Candleland which wasn't sung like he sang with EATB. I like maybe 3 songs on that. I'll probably love Reverb because of Will and Les.
Last edited by DivaDiana77 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I long for the pork of Porcupine. (A slide show dedicated mostly to Will right here.... http://www.examiner.com/rock-music-in-l ... -here-tour)
DivaDiana77
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby kook » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 am

Dr Evil wrote: Like Heaven Up Here, it's a grower.

:eek: :eek: Heaven Up Here, the album by Echo and the Bunnymen?
THat was a smack upside the head, bowl you over while blowing your brains out instant winner!!!!
Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.
kook
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Evil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:15 am

kook wrote::eek: :eek: Heaven Up Here, the album by Echo and the Bunnymen?
THat was a smack upside the head, bowl you over while blowing your brains out instant winner!!!!

I'd say that would be a better description of Crocodiles. Though next to Heaven Up Here it seems unsophisticated. With Heaven Up Here, (more so with Reverberation) it takes a while to realise just what a profound work this album is. Once it dawns on you, the record becomes a sort of magical item, a holy icon.
Dr Evil

Postby JackT » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 am

For me HUH was a grower.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 am

I'm with you on that one. I devoured that album when I first heard it.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby the ghost of guitarplayer » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 am

.... with some fava beans and a nice chianti. fwttt, fwttt, fwtttt, fwtttt
the ghost of guitarplayer
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

HUH is overrated. Crocodiles and Porcupine are where it's at fellas.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby JackT » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

black francis wrote:HUH is overrated. Crocodiles and Porcupine are where it's at fellas.

I think you mean The Fountain is where it's at.
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby FunnypantsCassini » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:

I'm with you on that one. I devoured that album when I first heard it.

me too. fell into the magical mystery on the 1st listen.

black francis wrote:HUH is overrated. Crocodiles and Porcupine are where it's at fellas.

I find HUH much better than Porc. Porc is like leaden asphalt smeared on dry wasa whereas HUH is like fragrant lsd sprayed in your face.
"I’m writing soliloquies up there with Shakespeare. I need to be as good as him, not some dickhead in a rock band.” 2014.
FunnypantsCassini
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby FunnypantsCassini » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm

interesting how Reverberation is always listed in the band`s discography but the Electrafixion isn`t.
"I’m writing soliloquies up there with Shakespeare. I need to be as good as him, not some dickhead in a rock band.” 2014.
FunnypantsCassini
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby Wabbit » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16 pm

it wouldn't be as it was not 'the bands' album, it was Electrafixion's album....
Even god has to soundcheck sometimes
Wabbit

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen