Ocean Rain Collectors Edition- Nov 5th 2008

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Postby moses (2) » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:31 am

black francis wrote:I've been assured that chicken and waffles really do belong together.

I went out on a date with a hot looking chick once and boy did she speak a lot of waffle
moses (2)

Postby Red » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:26 am

black francis wrote:I've been assured that chicken and waffles really do belong together.

hehehee yeah, just not in that state! hehehe you need to eat the waffles with chicken GRAVY (with big chunks of chicken) poured over them! mmmmmm not with FRIED chicken and jam!! ewww!!!! dunno who Roscoe's is, but my family have been serving chicken and waffles for decades! i always thought it was a Pa. Dutch dish!
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:37 am

I believe that's syrup, not jam.

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles

Chicken and waffles is a dish, combining waffles, typically a breakfast food, with chicken, sometimes fried, that is served in certain specialty restaurants in the United States. The most famous of these restaurants is Roscoe's.

It's important to note, however, that there are two types of dishes that go by the name of chicken and waffles. The first type is one not often referred to: it consists of a plain waffle with chopped-up chicken on top, covered in gravy. The most common usage of the phrase, however, refers to the serving of fried chicken along with a waffle, the waffle then typically being covered with butter and/or syrup (as is common practice among those who eat waffles for breakfast in the United States). This unusual combination of foods is beloved by many people who are influenced by traditions of soul food passed down from past generations of their families.

I think, if you went to the South and ordered your Chicken & Waffles with gravy and chopped up chicken, they'd look at you the same way they'll look at a Liverpudlian in a London chippy when he orders chips & gravy.

Oh wait - it's The Northerners Guide To Finding Chips And Gravy in London:

http://www.liquidice.co.uk/food/chipsngravy.html
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby blinkilite » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:59 am

Red wrote:

hehehee yeah, just not in that state! hehehe you need to eat the waffles with chicken GRAVY (with big chunks of chicken) poured over them! mmmmmm

that sounds repulsive
:vomit:
not just another drop in the ocean
blinkilite

Postby JackT » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:59 am

blinkilite wrote:that sounds repulsive

word
"He was a mongoose, rather like a little cat in his fur and his tail, but quite like a weasel in his head and his habits."
JackT
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Red » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:28 pm

blinkilite wrote:that sounds repulsive

it's NOT! and neither is scrapple! :razz:

specialty shops? i've NEVER heard of eating waffles with fried chicken!!!! :eek:
Red
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Frank The Bunny » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Red wrote:i've NEVER heard of eating waffles with fried chicken!!!! :eek:

Maybe it's a southern thing.
The sweet/savory combo sounds a little stomach-turning at first - much like the thought of the McGriddle sandwiches (sausage egg and cheese between two maple syrup flavored pancake "buns") - but I rather like them

I can't say I've ever had either version of Chicken and Waffles. They both sound interesting - the ones with the gravy would be decent if the batter wasn't as sweet as a regular waffle, I suppose. sort of a biscuits and gravy analogue.
Frank The Bunny
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby violets » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:51 pm

Frank The Bunny wrote:Maybe it's a southern thing.

I'm currently living in the South and seen the locally owned restaurants that serve fried chicken and waffles. Those places seem popular late night.

I have never had it myself.
violets

Postby snowbunny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:55 pm

Minneapolis, bastion of culinary experimentation and ethnic cuisine (j/k), has a chicken and waffles place... have not been there but here is a capsule review:

The smell of cooking oil hung heavy in the air, and my first thought was that my dry cleaner was going to be elated by my decision to stop by Betty Jean's Chicken n Waffles. Then, predictably, my appetite took over. "They had better be frying all kinds of chicken in here," I muttered to my friend.

Boy, are they ever. Wings, legs and half-birds, all done with a deft touch that results in juicy meat and crisp, well-seasoned skin. The other house specialty, big surprise, is waffles: hot, tender, pleasingly tangy, and done up with chocolate, caramel, fruit or whipped cream. The chicken-waffles combo is a time-tested one, aimed at those with either a hankering for a late dinner with soul -- pork chops, red beans and rice, greens, corn, mac-and-cheese, Chicago-style links smothered in barbecue sauce -- or an early breakfast. Not just waffles, but eggs, hash browns, bacon and sausages. All are served in a flash. Better still, nothing exceeds $12.

The perky tan-and-blue dining room is pretty much a row of booths lined up, diner-style, in a long, narrow brick-lined space; a nightclub and bar take up the rear. Late-nighters will be happy to learn that Betty Jean's keeps night-owl hours (to 2 a.m.) on weekends. Don't leave without indulging in a slice of baker Betty Jean Murry's fantastic buttermilk pie. The mellow, vanilla-kissed beauty is just $3.25 a pop, about half the price of a bottle of Woolite. So, go ahead. Order a second slice.
snowbunny

Postby moses (2) » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:25 am

I am getting really hungry

Have to say the nicest breakfast I had was in New York -- waffles with streaky bacon smeared with maple syrup and loads of butter

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
moses (2)

Postby Lancashire Fusileer » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:25 am

Good God. And I thought curry pies were the final frontier[/right]
older by the day
Lancashire Fusileer

Postby isamu » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 am

Hello gentlemen it's good to be here :)

Can anyone post a link to where I can order this re-release of Ocean Rain? Thanks in advance :)
isamu
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby Mr. Brian » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:28 am

isamu wrote:Hello gentlemen it's good to be here :)

Can anyone post a link to where I can order this re-release of Ocean Rain? Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forums.

I don't think there is a pre-order for this anywhere. Officially I don't think it exists
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen