The First Time in 40 Years

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

The First Time in 40 Years

Postby King Of Kings » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:46 am

This will be the First Time in 40 Years I have not seen the Bunnymen or related incarnation (MKII, Electrafixion, Polterguiest, Glide, Wild Swans ) including solo performances/ DJ Sets

Since about 1980 I have seen at least I gig a year, this year none. :sad:

I cant be arsed with the festivals anymore and the Xmas Gigs 2019 are to far for me given that the set and performance will be so predictable.

Who' s going to

17 Dec
Warehouse23, Wakefield

18 Dec
The Queen's Hall, Edinburgh

By the way the Mick Houghton book "Fried and Justified" shows that the Bunnymen have always been fraught with internal politics and chaos.

Most interesting was that apart from Will and Les none of them were really mates, just people who had to work together when and if they could be bothered.

Bill Drummond was the glue and maverick, when he left the soul left and the ego took over
King Of Kings

Re: The First Time in 40 Years

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Not sure I'll see them myself either. Christmas shows in Wakefield and Edinburgh seem a bit random and third place billing in a festival in their hometown also seems a bit weird, I mean it's not as if it's Elvis and The Beatles above them either.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby bunnygod1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 am

I would like to have gone to the Edinburgh gig, but can not commit to it at the moment and its nearly sold out I think.
As for the festivals, I not sure they ever looked or sounded their best outside, other than "larks in the park" which does look and sound great!
bunnygod1

Postby billythekid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:Not sure I'll see them myself either. Christmas shows in Wakefield and Edinburgh seem a bit random and third place billing in a festival in their hometown also seems a bit weird, I mean it's not as if it's Elvis and The Beatles above them either.

Looks like they’ve been pushed down to fourth place billing now, by the addition of Jake Bugg!! Oh dear, believe Mac likes him be interesting to hear what he thinks of him now!
billythekid

Postby bunnygod1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:38 pm

billythekid wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:Not sure I'll see them myself either. Christmas shows in Wakefield and Edinburgh seem a bit random and third place billing in a festival in their hometown also seems a bit weird, I mean it's not as if it's Elvis and The Beatles above them either.

Looks like they’ve been pushed down to fourth place billing now, by the addition of Jake Bugg!! Oh dear, believe Mac likes him be interesting to hear what he thinks of him now!

4th place to Jake "fuckin lightning bolt" Bugg, just wait till that new Bunnymen album comes out! :lol:
bunnygod1

Postby King Of Kings » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:33 pm

I remember back in 1983 when Gerry and the Pacemakers and the Rolling Stones were touring.

I thought give it a rest

and that was only 20 years after they started out

Now I find myself thinking about Bunnymen Gigs 40 years after they started
King Of Kings

Postby bunnygod1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:13 am

The stones are still touring 36 years after that. Gerry Marsden recently joined take that on stage at Anfield for a cringing YNWA sing song!
bunnygod1

Postby billythekid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:37 am

bunnygod1 wrote:
billythekid wrote:

4th place to Jake "fuckin lightning bolt" Bugg, just wait till that new Bunnymen album comes out! :lol:

How many times have we heard that one? Wasn’t an album of new songs supposed to be out later this year? By never changing and now reducing the setlist as they seem to have done recently to 16 or 17 songs, sadly they’re just looking more and more like their own tribute act. No doubt Mac will have control over the new stuff, with Will sidelined, if so that doesn’t bode well. Probably time to call it a day really
billythekid

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 am

bunnygod1 wrote:The stones are still touring 36 years after that. Gerry Marsden recently joined take that on stage at Anfield for a cringing YNWA sing song!

Every YNWA is cringing! :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote: Every YNWA is cringing! :lol:

A baby at the doctor's office here in Paris was wearing a "You'll never crawl alone" Babygro. I asked the mother if the baby supported Liverpool. No, the Babygro was a gift.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Grumpy_Jimbo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:03 pm

Glasgow & Edinburgh for me......
Grumpy_Jimbo

Postby MightyWhyte » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:13 am

Wakefield for me and our lass, not doing any festivals even the one on my doorstep in Bingley as we're away anyway. Kinda hoping some more dates get added to December but hey ho it is what it is and I've got Shakey Sisters to look forward to in November :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
BunnyGod Pin needed :sad:
MightyWhyte

Postby fat cherry » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:30 pm

King Of Kings wrote:This will be the First Time in 40 Years I have not seen the Bunnymen

I often have a couple of years thinking I can't be arsed, and then I get the itch again (yes and I know, I do have cream for that), so I don't know. The other year at BIngley they were really good. Cost of the tour for the stars etc put me off, tight arse that I am.

King Of Kings wrote:By the way the Mick Houghton book "Fried and Justified" shows that the Bunnymen have always been fraught with internal politics and chaos.

Most interesting was that apart from Will and Les none of them were really mates, just people who had to work together when and if they could be bothered.

Bill Drummond was the glue and maverick, when he left the soul left and the ego took over

I think we kind of knew all that didn't we? One review I read said the book's good but won't reveal anything new to old time fans. Will get it at some point I expect. Though the other year the Sarge said something sabout 'he's still my mate and he makes me laugh' or something like that - so there. Drummond-wise, wasn't he endlessly frustrated by Will's wish to play one note solos?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby crystal daze » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:58 am

Grumpy_Jimbo wrote:Glasgow & Edinburgh for me......

Glasgow for me. We’ve got a good night for it. :-)
There's times when I've been deeply indifferent
crystal daze

Postby Dave Smith » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:03 am

Off to Gunners festival-should be a decent length set
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen