Space Junk Radio Episode 7

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Space Junk Radio Episode 7

Postby allthatjazz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:49 am

Lots of people who aren't interested. Thankfully the vast majority go home.I think the first time I did was a few years back though I've been a music lover and been to hundreds of concerts. Since my niece got into being a rock critic, we would do it because she wanted to and she had such incredible access. I'm not interested in all of them, but I've enjoyed meeting Jake Bugg, Elbow, The Bunnymen, David Byrne. Then there are some venues where you can't help running into the artists they're so small. We've had drinks and talked with loads of them at The Beachland Ballroom and the adjoining Tavern, Mahalll's and The Grog Shop over the years. Also, nice to be put on a guest list or be my niece's plus one. She's introduced us to some great acts and some I hope to never see again. Missing those days since she moved to Paste Magazine Headquarters in Atlanta to work as a music editor a couple of months ago. People in bands are like every other category of people some are cool, some assholes and my favorites are fascinating as hell. Like any frustrated journalist, I'm a sucker for a good story.
allthatjazz

Postby allthatjazz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:24 am

As the Stranglers said, "No more heroes".

Were they ever? Even at my most delusional, I never expected musicians to be heroes. Here's what I've learned along the way...managing expectations is the key to happiness.
allthatjazz

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:27 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:maybe I've been listening too much to DrCheese

You know it makes sense! :wink:

The only time I've ever waited outside for a band was Tangerine Dream and that was because my mate that I went with insisted, I would have preferred to get the bus straight home personally but I got a signed program out of it which I've still got somewhere. Do you still get programs these days, back in the day you couldn't go to a gig without buying one or you hadn't officially been.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am

Dr Cheese wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:maybe I've been listening too much to DrCheese

You know it makes sense! :wink:

The only time I've ever waited outside for a band was Tangerine Dream and that was because my mate that I went with insisted, I would have preferred to get the bus straight home personally but I got a signed program out of it which I've still got somewhere. Do you still get programs these days, back in the day you couldn't go to a gig without buying one or you hadn't officially been.

Haven't spotted any programmes for a while DrC, though there was a snazzy little Bunnymen handbag for sale at the Cardiff gig (No, I didn't by the way!!!!! :lol: )
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Mrs FC laughs because I'm not interested in meeting people anyway anywhere anyhow, as they say, whereas she's a real people person. Not that she hankers after anyone famous but walks into a room and inten minutes knows everyone there and how much their mortgage is. I stand inthe corner and admire her :biggrin: . Once found myself standing next to the sarge after a gig when he'd come out to sign a few things, and everyone else just disappeared. No idea why I was still there, usually with Cheesy on the first bus home. Anyways we shared a blokey nod and walked in opposite directions. Sorted. But then a mate who I met through going to bunnymen gigs loves a chat with the famous. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Been close up to David Gedge a few times, but that's only because he does his own merch.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 pm

My mate (another one) who i reconnected with recently via the wonders of the tinternet has a story about meeting brian may, at the cinema the day after they played in Leeds, back in the day, as it were. I'm sure the story has changed with the telling since I first heard it - but more or less his then missus, who is the real queen fan, pursuades him to go and have a chat, so he does. Mr May explains that he's with his kids so why doesn't he go and piss off. Think the first time he told me it was a bit mre polite, but they've been divorced a few years now - him and the ex wife, not brian.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Oh and since this has turned into a discussion of meeting people in bands....My college girlfriend Sharon Edwards was dating the promotion guy at the rock station [WMMS] in town and she invited me to go with her to party with Meatloaf...I was never a fan...It's the late 70's and we're in the deep freeze of winter on the Northcoast..My options were go with Sharon to see a concert and party for a band I detest or watch Hogan's Heroes reruns on the telly, again. I went. It was exactly what one might expect. Over the top drinking and there was more snow inside than out. I met another wallflower who I felt comfortable talking to when Meat Loaf himself [I didn't even know his real name nor did I bother to find out] was working the room and puts out his hand. I remember saying hello Mr. Meat and he laughed harder than the joke was worth and mercifully he moved on. I made it home safely, though I don't know how. Just the sort of thing one does to relieve boredom in winter Cleveland, OH.
allthatjazz

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 pm

I once stood and had a piss next to Bill Kenwright. :redface:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:I once stood and had a piss next to Bill Kenwright. :redface:

I bet if you'd known how he was going to fuck Everton up you'd have pissed on him! :lol:
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:05 am

Dr Cheese wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:I once stood and had a piss next to Bill Kenwright. :redface:

I bet if you'd known how he was going to fuck Everton up you'd have pissed on him! :lol:

:lol:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dave Smith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:56 am

Worst musician i ever met?Miles Hunt of the Wonder Stuff.
My mate "miles can you sign this for my girlfriend please...she loves you?"
Cunt "fuck off i dont love her"
True story that.Hate the man with a passion
Dave Smith
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:42 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Worst musician i ever met?Miles Hunt of the Wonder Stuff.
My mate "miles can you sign this for my girlfriend please...she loves you?"
Cunt "fuck off i dont love her"
True story that.Hate the man with a passion

Says something when your name's rhyming slang. :lol:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 am

I'm gonna record all the Will shows to mp3 if anyone is interested ?
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:21 pm

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen