john robb loves the bunnymen

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

john robb loves the bunnymen

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 am

yes truly - the laurel and hardy of indie rock....

https://louderthanwar.com/echo-bunnymen ... 0zrTG9mfxI
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: john robb loves the bunnymen

Postby Mr. Brian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:35 pm

Referring to Will's modesty in the review....I met Will backstage at a show during the Flowers tour. I told him he inspired me as a guitarist and he replied: "it's easy isn't it!?"
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billythekid » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:28 pm

My other half is a big fan of Gary Numan and last week persuaded me we needed a weekend away on the coast! What I saw and heard was the Bunnymen on a good night, definitely better than the last show I saw but nothing special and definitely not the show John Robb writes about here! Yes, Mac was in a good mood which proved to me what many have said, that it’s his mood which defines the show you get, sad and selfish really. Generally not a fan of Robb’s reviews, always ott, good or bad, imo.
billythekid

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Comes across as an OTT fan boy, I'd take anything this bloke says with a large dollop of salt. The Laurel and Hardy comment made me lol though.

Does anyone remember OTT by the way, late night adult version of Tiswas?

Tiswas ... mmmm ... Sally James ...
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby billythekid » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 am

Dr Cheese wrote:Comes across as an OTT fan boy, I'd take anything this bloke says with a large dollop of salt. The Laurel and Hardy comment made me lol though.

Got his head well and truly where the sun doesn’t shine, but there’s a few of them about!
billythekid

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 am

billythekid wrote:
Dr Cheese wrote:Comes across as an OTT fan boy, I'd take anything this bloke says with a large dollop of salt. The Laurel and Hardy comment made me lol though.

Got his head well and truly where the sun doesn’t shine, but there’s a few of them about!

An arse-licker of a review if ever I read one! "Tonight was a triumph" confused me a bit though, a Triumph as in 'well past its heyday, bit rusty with some missing parts and a good few miles on the clock?' :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby billythekid » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Got his head well and truly where the sun doesn’t shine, but there’s a few of them about![/quote]

An arse-licker of a review if ever I read one! "Tonight was a triumph" confused me a bit though, a Triumph as in 'well past its heyday, bit rusty with some missing parts and a good few miles on the clock?' :wink:[/quote]

Exactly that! As I said, they were good but definitely not great! We met up with some friends who agreed, one said seen em better, seen em worse and that seemed to be the general opinion. It’s no secret Mac does the setlist, it must be a bit boring for the rest of them having to do the same thing over and over. Remember at the O2 in Oxford, think that’s what it’s called now??, they did about 4 songs they hadn’t done for a while and it just felt so much fresher but by the time saw them again later that tour things were back to normal. Think that show has been commented on a few times over in another fb group, the one where you’re allowed to give your opinion and say if you think they’ve got any facts wrong.
billythekid

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 pm

billythekid wrote:Got his head well and truly where the sun doesn’t shine, but there’s a few of them about!

An arse-licker of a review if ever I read one! "Tonight was a triumph" confused me a bit though, a Triumph as in 'well past its heyday, bit rusty with some missing parts and a good few miles on the clock?' :wink:[/quote]

Exactly that! As I said, they were good but definitely not great! We met up with some friends who agreed, one said seen em better, seen em worse and that seemed to be the general opinion. It’s no secret Mac does the setlist, it must be a bit boring for the rest of them having to do the same thing over and over. Remember at the O2 in Oxford, think that’s what it’s called now??, they did about 4 songs they hadn’t done for a while and it just felt so much fresher but by the time saw them again later that tour things were back to normal. Think that show has been commented on a few times over in another fb group, the one where you’re allowed to give your opinion and say if you think they’ve got any facts wrong.[/quote]

Spot on, I think that's pretty much it. I think I had a bit of a fan-girl period (bloody hell, that sounds wrong doesn't it!) when I re-started going to see them (and other bands) about 12 years ago. Seeing them regularly over the last decade has made me realise how 'safe' the gigs and setlist have become, especially when you see new bands with fresh material and even other older bands releasing new material and performing it live with pride (The Wild Swans for one).
The Bunnymen are a bit like McDonalds for me, whenever and wherever you go you have a pretty good idea what you're going to be served. If it's near home or when you're abroad on your hols and you're really not sure if you fancy that cafe in France serving the baguettes with big lumps of ham, sausage and what I'm bloody sure were plums (but that's enough of my Parc Asterix experience), you always know you're ok with a Quarterpounder with cheese. Sure, they may be a bit cold sometimes, but sometimes when you're bloody starving they're just what you need, and sometimes you might even get some cheese bites chucked in on the side. There's no surprises, but you don't always want one of those do you? On the other hand, you might fancy a change and go for a Subway or a Pizza and quite enjoy it for a change, but that lure of McDonalds is always there isn't it.
The best Bunnymen gigs I've been to in recent years have been the Ocean Rain and Crocs/HUH shows, it was like having a totally new menu served by your favourite waitress with free booze. Personally, I'd love to see Porcupine played in its entirety, or even a short 'rarities' set before the more well-known stuff (Broke My Neck, Simple Stuff, The Subject, Fuel, The Puppet, now there's a setlist any young punk band would be proud of).
So lets be positive and hope for a spicy beanburger (shit, that was Wimpy wasn't it) and just hope to fuck we don't get a prune.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby billythekid » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:11 pm

I’m guessing like me you were going to see them in the early days VB, and it’s a bit sad to see really especially with their back catalogue. Like you I want to enjoy the shows but it does sometimes feel flat and like they’re almost their own tribute band, but playing what Mac wants to sing, not what the audience wants to hear! By his own admission he’s lazy and we know he rarely sound checks, I wonder is that the reason, or are these the easier to sing songs, there must be a reason why they never did Porcupine when they did the other three?? Agree, we can always hope, but I won’t hold my breath!
billythekid

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:34 am

Bloody hell, Mac and Will being called the Laurel and Hardy of rock and now being compared to McDondalds! :lol:

Big Mac indeed!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:23 pm

eh, and if you were his mate it'd be mac..... and cheese. how we larf.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm

fat cherry wrote:eh, and if you were his mate it'd be mac..... and cheese. how we larf.

Heh Heh, that's unlikely! :lol:
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby billythekid » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Steel and You
@ThoughtsNo2
Replying to
@rockaway_fest
@Bunnymen
and
@TonyJupp
Certainly won’t. It was truly terrible. A real anti climax and a damp squib of an ending to what had been to that point been a superb festival. A band I’ve always wanted to see and wish that I hadn’t.

Steve Fraser
@Saintbarca
Replying to
@ThoughtsNo2
@rockaway_fest
and 2 others
Agreed. And I’m a Bunnymen fan from Wirral. Please make sure tour performers are at least vaguely sober. Mac ruined it. Otherwise a great weekend. Bunnymen were a shadow of their usual selves. Too much alcohol.

From my twitter feed, seems more fans disagree with John Robb, and far more disparaging than any comments I made. Maybe good was too generous!
billythekid

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen