The Stars, The Oceans & The Moon, Released...finally!

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: The Stars, The Oceans & The Moon, Released...finally!

Postby Happy Death Man » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Not keen on the new songs, the cutter and dancing horses, but thoroughly enjoy the rest.
I think the appeal in my case is that I have loved these songs for decades, but I am so familiar with them (wouldn't say bored) that I rarely play them now; this album, therefore, is 're-uniting' me with personal classics in a new way, allowing me to listen to them through different ears, if that makes sense.
I understand those who criticise it, I can see where you're coming from, but I think it's worked out well.
Happy Death Man

Postby fat cherry » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am

Bit of a shock this morning when I hear the new KM blaring out of Mrs FCs mobile. Then I worked it out- I've been using her laptop since mine died and have listened a bit to the youtube, and because the internet watches us intently and knows our habits etc - she goes on the old YT and it comes out as one of those directed adverts at the start of whatever she was looking at - obv she wouldn't admit to looking at the bunnies. File under 'could have been worse' methinks.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:22 am

Happy Death Man wrote:Had a listen and I think it's boss. Stand outs at this stage are Stars are Stars and Killing Moon.

This'll be blasting out of my happy death car for the foreseeable future.

I'm you on this one...I enjoy it more with each listen.
allthatjazz

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:25 pm

fat cherry wrote:because the internet watches us intently and knows our habits etc

Fuck fuck fuckety fuck fuck! :eek: :redface: :eek: :redface:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am

tell me about it VB - bit freaky first timesomething pops out of your phone when you know you haven't been anywhere near THAT site on the phone.

Anyways back on topic - NMEs on it now. No review though
https://www.nme.com/news/stream-echo-an ... on-2387352
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/twenty-one-pilots-and-lady-gaga-bradley-cooper-contend-for-this-weeks-official-albums-chart-top-spot__24248/

I know topping the charts isn't what it was in the 80's, but a top 10 is surprisingly good. Highest topper since the Grey Album, it looks like. Not bad for two old guys in a 80's cult band. Not sure how sustainable it will be as I suspect all the diehards will have bought the album on pre-order and on the first first day at the store. If it's still going strong next week, BMG will be pleased.
dodojojo

Postby billythekid » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

dodojojo wrote:http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/twenty-one-pilots-and-lady-gaga-bradley-cooper-contend-for-this-weeks-official-albums-chart-top-spot__24248/

I know topping the charts isn't what it was in the 80's, but a top 10 is surprisingly good. Highest topper since the Grey Album, it looks like. Not bad for two old guys in a 80's cult band. Not sure how sustainable it will be as I suspect all the diehards will have bought the album on pre-order and on the first first day at the store. If it's still going strong next week, BMG will be pleased.

Not really surprising when so many bundles were on offer, one of them could count as five sales and hmv are selling it at a cheaper price. A mate was telling me BMG did the same thing with James, think he said they were in the top 10 in the week end chart, dropped right out the following week. Think they have a four album deal, now on album four, don’t think they’ve been re signed yet from what he said. Will be interesting to see next week’s position but doubt it’ll be a strong one!
Does anyone know roughly how many you need to sell to make the top 10 these days?? Long time since I’ve thought about chart positions!
billythekid

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I mostly waited to hear these songs when I got a copy to listen to all the way through and then judge it. My immediate thought was that they forgot to mix it. The levels don't sound right to me. Then I thought, well if this were another band doing the same exact versions, I'd probably think it was a nice tribute. But it's not. It's the Bunnymen doing cheap versions of their own songs. When I first heard of this project I guess I was thinking it might be like the LoFi lullaby of A Promise they did as a Flowers beside which I loved. The two new ones are alright but they just seem like the last two albums b sides. I did enjoy Seven Seas and Ocean Rain. Also, redoing Killing Moon would be like McCartney re-doing Let It Be or Band on the Run. It’s too iconic to mess with. Oh well.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Stuart » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm

It's OK

Rust is still a boring song though.
It wouldn't work if Mac was a slaphead would it.
Stuart

Postby Happy Death Man » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Anybody know why there's a space helmet on the cover? Get rid of that and I'd say you've got the best cover since ocean rain.
Happy Death Man

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Against my better judgement I've finally had a listen. As I was expecting it to be a big pile of toss-pottery I wasn't disappointed.

If Mac was stood in front of me now I'd turn him round and boot him up the arse! Probably.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:As I was expecting it to be a big pile of toss-pottery I wasn't disappointed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 am

Kounelaki wrote:
Dr Cheese wrote:As I was expecting it to be a big pile of toss-pottery I wasn't disappointed.

Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm kind of shocked that The Stars, The Ocean & The Moon is currently at #11 in the UK charts, the best placing album since Evergreen at #8 20 years ago. I suspect this has more to do with the well-done promotion and marketing by BMG vs the songs. I hope it at least makes them some money. https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/1 ... -bunnymen/
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billythekid » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:I'm kind of shocked that The Stars, The Ocean & The Moon is currently at #11 in the UK charts, the best placing album since Evergreen at #8 20 years ago. I suspect this has more to do with the well-done promotion and marketing by BMG vs the songs. I hope it at least makes them some money. https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/1 ... -bunnymen/

#11 was the first end of week chart after release, last Friday think it was #84, definitely mid 80’s and in the mid week yesterday it had dropped out of the 100. As you say good backing from BMG, all those bundles on offer would’ve helped.
billythekid

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen