Aliens have stolen Mac now

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Aliens have stolen Mac now

Postby fat cherry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 am

I think I said this about Will a bit ago - and replaced him with an autobot they think ought to be giving interviews. Well they've done it with mac now - sharing the lurve with U2. Maybe he's just getting old. Don'tworry, there's still some of the usual bollocks.
Didn't check, can't be arsed, so hope we haven't had this before - apparently Adam Clayton is his favourite bass player......
Chez.

https://www.xsnoize.com/interview-ian-m ... -greatest/
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Re: Aliens have stolen Mac now

Postby billythekid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 am

fat cherry wrote:I think I said this about Will a bit ago - and replaced him with an autobot they think ought to be giving interviews. Well they've done it with mac now - sharing the lurve with U2. Maybe he's just getting old. Don'tworry, there's still some of the usual bollocks.
Didn't check, can't be arsed, so hope we haven't had this before - apparently Adam Clayton is his favourite bass player......
Chez.

https://www.xsnoize.com/interview-ian-m ... -greatest/

Was also kinder towards Robert Smith in one I read but then saw a tweet, which appears to have been deleted, where the tweeter said he’d been slagging him off after a gig. Imho I’m thinking he’s hoping to get the bunnies some arena/festivals with the big players, mayb’s to top up his pension or whatever? Just my guess because they’re constantly touring these what 1200 - 1500 size gaffs whereas the big boys are raking it in. My mate said the Cure sold out Dublin in under an hour last week and they’re playing same weekend as Slane festival or some big festival there, as said just my opinion!
billythekid

Postby fat cherry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:23 am

well there's this one....

http://craigjparker.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... h-fan.html

I'm sure I read years ago that it was Smith who suggested to the promotor after their south american tour that the bunny;'s would be a god fit - but then Mac does the usual. The targets seem to be more forgiving than Mac - he was welcomed with a hug on stage by Paul Weller at some charity do a while back, Mac said he was 'a big man'. And maybe he's mellowing with age, or simply beter at giving interviews, though some of the recent ones might also suggest not.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby billythekid » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 am

fat cherry wrote:well there's this one....

http://craigjparker.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... h-fan.html

I'm sure I read years ago that it was Smith who suggested to the promotor after their south american tour that the bunny;'s would be a god fit - but then Mac does the usual. The targets seem to be more forgiving than Mac - he was welcomed with a hug on stage by Paul Weller at some charity do a while back, Mac said he was 'a big man'. And maybe he's mellowing with age, or simply beter at giving interviews, though some of the recent ones might also suggest not.

I remember something about that too but it was ages ago I think. I do know Robert Smith likes promoting the likes of the twilight sad and others that were on at Meltdown. We saw them at Hyde Park this year and have to say they were great, one of the best festival performances I’ve ever seen tbh. Got chatting as you do and seems some diehards have an issue with Reeves Gabrel’s and preferred the less regarded guitarist Bamonte who they told me Smith allegedly got rid of because he allegedly liked his marching powder too much! All rumours and told after a few pints but there was also the court case with Tolhurst, think they made up though.
billythekid

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 pm

fat cherry wrote:apparently Adam Clayton is his favourite bass player......
Chez.

Maybe just saying it to take a dig at Les, though I wouldn't reckon Les gives a shit about anything Mac says anyway. Sounds a bit like Roy Keane's answer when asked about the best manager he'd worked with, the immediate answer was Clough, which he probably meant but was also a nice dig at Fergie who many of the Sky brigade (I think it was a Sky show) would regard as the greatest, particularly as Sky invented football in the early 1990s and Fergie was at the height of his powers for the next couple of decades.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:58 pm

well Les's return to the bass seems to have ended so maybe he doesn't count. Though U2s biographer, whose name escapes me, doesn't even rate Adam and spends several parts of his own memoir, Killing Bono, saying how crap he is - incidentally that's quite a good book, right up until he gets successful himself and then it goes down hill somewhat, incidentally (part 2) the film of the same name is mildly amusing in parts though clings to one minor incident in the book and tries to make that a main part of the "movie" and the chap who plays our man bonio has the bonio smirk off brilliantly.

However, I agree with what he says about Sarge's contribution to what are you etc etc etc, slight on the surface, but pretty much perfect for the songs.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 am

Voodoo Billy wrote:
Chez.

Maybe just saying it to take a dig at Les, though I wouldn't reckon Les gives a shit about anything Mac says anyway. Sounds a bit like Roy Keane's answer when asked about the best manager he'd worked with, the immediate answer was Clough, which he probably meant but was also a nice dig at Fergie who many of the Sky brigade (I think it was a Sky show) would regard as the greatest, particularly as Sky invented football in the early 1990s and Fergie was at the height of his powers for the next couple of decades.

Dunno why this came up, but reminded me of something back in the early-mid nineties - when I used to be a chemist working at a well known 1960s campus university in the midlands.... Anyway there was a new lectureship going and all the candidates had to give a lecture to the department. This student, who'd only left a few years ago, and was a good bloke and a bit of a comic on the side I recall, had spent his previous three years or so working in Basel or somewhere with a fairly eminent photochemist, oo er missus, lets call him professor Robert Smith, cos I cant remember his real name. SO anyways he gives his lecture and its all very interesting and gets to the bit where he gives his thanks and acknowledgements and he goes, and this is to an audience including all the lecturers and tutors who'd taught him over six years "I'd especially like to thank professor Robert Smith who is the best chemist I've ever worked with." I mean he wasn't likely ot get the job anyways pn account his work was still very similar to his former supervisor who he's just demoted to less than best. Made me chuckle anyways....., where was I?
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:58 am

fat cherry wrote:
Voodoo Billy wrote:
Chez.

Dunno why this came up, but reminded me of something back in the early-mid nineties - when I used to be a chemist working at a well known 1960s campus university in the midlands.... Anyway there was a new lectureship going and all the candidates had to give a lecture to the department. This student, who'd only left a few years ago, and was a good bloke and a bit of a comic on the side I recall, had spent his previous three years or so working in Basel or somewhere with a fairly eminent photochemist, oo er missus, lets call him professor Robert Smith, cos I cant remember his real name. SO anyways he gives his lecture and its all very interesting and gets to the bit where he gives his thanks and acknowledgements and he goes, and this is to an audience including all the lecturers and tutors who'd taught him over six years "I'd especially like to thank professor Robert Smith who is the best chemist I've ever worked with." I mean he wasn't likely ot get the job anyways pn account his work was still very similar to his former supervisor who he's just demoted to less than best. Made me chuckle anyways....., where was I?

Classic! You can't beat a back-handed compliment. Never knew Fat Bob was a photochemist either!
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen