US Tour 2018: reviews, articles, observations, etc.

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: US Tour 2018: reviews, articles, observations, etc.

Postby allthatjazz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:53 am

New interview with Ian in Orlando...https://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/for ... d=16147728
allthatjazz

Postby allthatjazz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am

Tomorrow is the end of the Echo & The Bunnymen Violent Femmes Tour 2.0...Wonder what they plan to do between July 25 and their next scheduled event in Ohio, Bellwether Festival on August 11. Just vacation?
allthatjazz

Postby dodojojo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:10 am

The Ohio festival must be financially worth it as I assume they will have to fly everyone and gear over to the US for a one-off.
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:00 pm

dodojojo wrote:The Ohio festival must be financially worth it as I assume they will have to fly everyone and gear over to the US for a one-off.

I was hoping they might hook some more shows further north...But, they would have announced them by now.
allthatjazz

Postby fat cherry » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:48 am

allthatjazz wrote:Tomorrow is the end of the Echo & The Bunnymen Violent Femmes Tour 2.0...Wonder what they plan to do between July 25 and their next scheduled event in Ohio, Bellwether Festival on August 11. Just vacation?

well if mojo's anything to go by the sarge wil be heading to california for a bit of 'romantic involvement'.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby wingokenda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am

I understand Mac has virtually a whole album's worth of vocal to re-record before October...
wingokenda

Postby dodojojo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 am

Last night of the tour...plan is go and buy at the box office. No chance of it being sold out since the place apparently goes up to 6K in capacity. See how work goes and what kind of mood I'm in.
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 am

fat cherry wrote:
allthatjazz wrote:Tomorrow is the end of the Echo & The Bunnymen Violent Femmes Tour 2.0...Wonder what they plan to do between July 25 and their next scheduled event in Ohio, Bellwether Festival on August 11. Just vacation?

well if mojo's anything to go by the sarge will be heading to california for a bit of 'romantic involvement'.

Ha! Indeed...What happened with Paula? I thought they had children together.
allthatjazz

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:09 am

Well he doesnt say anything about that, and presumably the sarge isn't followed around by tabloid hacks. His sprogs must be in their 20s now, and, you know alsorts might have occurred. Surprising thing is he mentioned it at all. Haven't I been saying aliens have kidnapped our sarge and replaced him with their version of a jolly guitar plyaer in a post punk band.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby allthatjazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm

dodojojo wrote:Last night of the tour...plan is go and buy at the box office. No chance of it being sold out since the place apparently goes up to 6K in capacity. See how work goes and what kind of mood I'm in.

Looked like the best show of the bunch...Did you make it?
allthatjazz

Postby dodojojo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I waffled up to the very end. There were heavy thunderstorms last night so I was loathed to go outside. Finally by 8pm, checking the train schedule, I wasn't going to make the 9pm box office closing time. So I requested a Lyft car and at that point, I had no choice but to go :lol:

What can I say about the show? I think nothing that would surprise anyone here. You know the setlist. I was not impressed with an hour performance. Lazy blobs. On the other hand, it meant I could run off and catch the last or one of the last trains home. So there's the positive. But yeah, it was one reason I was hesitant to go--would have much rather gone to a dedicated headliner show and squeezed another 1/2 hour of songs. With the one hour--it was all greatest hits and aside from NLF, nothing from post-reformation and neither of the two new songs. And of course, it would have been better with a dedicated Bunnymen crowd. When the Bunnymen kicked off with LLS, one woman screamed, "Oh my god, I know this song!" :mrgreen: Just as I couldn't have cared less about the Violent Femmes set, there others who felt the same about the Bunnymen and leaving before their set or during it. Again, not optimal.

Overall, I'm glad I went. The songs are the songs, you know? And Ian sounded good for what he can sing nowadays. It's still a unique, compelling voice but he's never singing "A Promise" ever again, is he? Perhaps that's one reason why the setlist is so limited. Maybe there are just too many songs he can't sing. During Never Stop, I was thinking this song live may not be long for this world. He's singing the chorus differently and who knows if that's going to work much longer. And I would have loved to have heard Heads Will Roll but hearing it in my head--I'm not sure current Ian can pull it off.

And yeah, aside from 'thanks' 'cheers' and 'cigarette' (after someone threw one on-stage), I understood nothing else from Ian. And honestly, I do think it impacts audience engagement. I don't love their songs but the Femmes worked the crowd a lot better.

Last thing is the cacophony of talking. My god, why do people go to a concert to have discussions and debates? I can see why Ian gets peeved even if I don't think he should curse people off mid-song (he didn't last night). But unless you're entirely focused on the show, it's hard to not notice the din of chatter. And it's especially annoying during a song like Ocean Rain. I wish the venue had pumped up a volume a bit more. Maybe my aging ears aren't just as sensitive but they should have pushed it a little closer to "ooh, my ears are tingling."

Oh, Ian still does his praying mantis dance, doesn't he? It's just now the rest of his body doesn't move and he just slaps his hands on his hips. The praying mantis dance was odd, but this looks like he's has Tourettes.
dodojojo

Postby allthatjazz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:36 pm

dodojojo wrote:I waffled up to the very end. There were heavy thunderstorms last night so I was loathed to go outside. Finally by 8pm, checking the train schedule, I wasn't going to make the 9pm box office closing time. So I requested a Lyft car and at that point, I had no choice but to go :lol:

What can I say about the show? I think nothing that would surprise anyone here. You know the setlist. I was not impressed with an hour performance. Lazy blobs. On the other hand, it meant I could run off and catch the last or one of the last trains home. So there's the positive. But yeah, it was one reason I was hesitant to go--would have much rather gone to a dedicated headliner show and squeezed another 1/2 hour of songs. With the one hour--it was all greatest hits and aside from NLF, nothing from post-reformation and neither of the two new songs. And of course, it would have been better with a dedicated Bunnymen crowd. When the Bunnymen kicked off with LLS, one woman screamed, "Oh my god, I know this song!" :mrgreen: Just as I couldn't have cared less about the Violent Femmes set, there others who felt the same about the Bunnymen and leaving before their set or during it. Again, not optimal.

Overall, I'm glad I went. The songs are the songs, you know? And Ian sounded good for what he can sing nowadays. It's still a unique, compelling voice but he's never singing "A Promise" ever again, is he? Perhaps that's one reason why the setlist is so limited. Maybe there are just too many songs he can't sing. During Never Stop, I was thinking this song live may not be long for this world. He's singing the chorus differently and who knows if that's going to work much longer. And I would have loved to have heard Heads Will Roll but hearing it in my head--I'm not sure current Ian can pull it off.

And yeah, aside from 'thanks' 'cheers' and 'cigarette' (after someone threw one on-stage), I understood nothing else from Ian. And honestly, I do think it impacts audience engagement. I don't love their songs but the Femmes worked the crowd a lot better.

Last thing is the cacophony of talking. My god, why do people go to a concert to have discussions and debates? I can see why Ian gets peeved even if I don't think he should curse people off mid-song (he didn't last night). But unless you're entirely focused on the show, it's hard to not notice the din of chatter. And it's especially annoying during a song like Ocean Rain. I wish the venue had pumped up a volume a bit more. Maybe my aging ears aren't just as sensitive but they should have pushed it a little closer to "ooh, my ears are tingling."

Oh, Ian still does his praying mantis dance, doesn't he? It's just now the rest of his body doesn't move and he just slaps his hands on his hips. The praying mantis dance was odd, but this looks like he's has Tourettes.

Thanks for your thorough assessment. I saw them with the Femmes last summer and felt completely the same about the set length, setlist and the overall disinterestedness from some in the audience. Convinced me, I only want to see them when they tour as a main act...Though I've been seriously considering Bellwether Festival, their set will probably be shorter than it was on this co-headlined tour....Maybe 40 minutes. As far as his danciness, at least he's attempting movement and not just using the mic to steady him as he has for years.
allthatjazz

Postby bunnygirlxx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Understand opinions about the short sets but they’ve never exactly done marathons, or changed the set list much. The recent UK tour was most nights 18 songs, this US one has been 13/14 from what I’ve read, and it’s been apparent for some time that even though the stage times given are one hour thirty minutes or one hour forty five, they rarely come on at the time stated and never run later, and generally finish with room to spare, and could easily do another couple. I went to The Cure at Hyde Park recently and the encores were almost as long as a Bunnymen set, never ever short changed at a Cure gig!
bunnygirlxx

Postby dodojojo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, well aware the Bunnymen have never been known for long setlists. But if they're playing 80-90 minutes normally and then it drops to 60 minutes--that's up to a 33% dropoff. It's noticeable. In any case, it's not a huge deal, just an observation. But if there's a next time--I'll make sure to go to headlining show so I get the full Bunnymen set.

I really wanted to hear Rust as it's my favorite post-reformation song. And one of the new songs because it's hard to gauge from the videos online how good the songs are.

I saw the Cure when I was young and had the stamina. I'm not sure I have the patience and constitution for 3 hour shows anymore. I think 90-120 minutes is perfect.
dodojojo

Postby bunnygirlxx » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm

dodojojo wrote:Yes, well aware the Bunnymen have never been known for long setlists. But if they're playing 80-90 minutes normally and then it drops to 60 minutes--that's up to a 33% dropoff. It's noticeable. In any case, it's not a huge deal, just an observation. But if there's a next time--I'll make sure to go to headlining show so I get the full Bunnymen set.

I really wanted to hear Rust as it's my favorite post-reformation song. And one of the new songs because it's hard to gauge from the videos online how good the songs are.

I saw the Cure when I was young and had the stamina. I'm not sure I have the patience and constitution for 3 hour shows anymore. I think 90-120 minutes is perfect.

Not disagreeing entirely but my point was even when it’s their show it’s only 3 or 4 more songs on recent tours. It’s more or less been on around 9.15 - 9.30 off by 10.45 maybe few minutes later and 17/18 songs.
As for The Cure, nobody locks you in! You are always free to leave if after two hours you’ve had enough!!
bunnygirlxx

PreviousNext

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen