Youtube video of IM 89/90 solo tour ?

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Youtube video of IM 89/90 solo tour ?

Postby T » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:41 am

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Seem to remember seeing a VHS boot back in the day but nothing seems to have surfaced on youtube that I can find.

Ta
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Re: Youtube video of IM 89/90 solo tour ?

Postby username » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 am

etc
Dave Smith's second account
username

Postby T » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks, but I meant actual live footage of a gig.

Remember seeing some audience shot VHS years ago...
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby dodojojo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:50 pm

Would love to see this too. I have a bit of sentimentality about the Candleland era. I have a couple of audio boots but would love some video.

Also just makes me think about all the stuff out there that some people have and aren't being shared. Of course, we're not entitled anything but it's 40 years since E&TB started and well, they and we're not getting any younger. I hope a lot that has been shared within a small hardcore group will be passed on in some way. I hate to think most of it being lost in time.
dodojojo

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:37 am

There's a bloke on here (bloke? how would I know) sick4tunz - look him up on the 'members' page has loads of stuff he makes available via his blog (linkin hisprofile page). Don't be put off by the van halen pages - he seems to love a bit of everything. Me, I can't be arsed most of the time and can oft be seen stood behind some prat at a gig with his telephone in the air obscuring my view moaning loudly
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:47 pm

fat cherry wrote:Me, I can't be arsed most of the time and can oft be seen stood behind some prat at a gig with his telephone in the air obscuring my view moaning loudly

Me too FC, sat at the Phil a few weeks ago the view in front of me was like a shot from an advert for Carphone fucking Warehouse. It's nice to have a look at the videos online afterwards but one or two would suffice, I don't think it's really necessary for every bastard who's bought a ticket to record it, and the dancing.....don't get me going on the bloody dancing.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Ah, I'm a tolerator of dancing, unless its right next to me and bumping into me spilling my watered down pint. Wedding present gigs are always funny because the front five rows all dance in sync - Cramps fans used to be a bit like that. Incessant talkers are also on my hitlist.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby T » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:16 am

Thanks. Found a few goodies I was unaware of- The BBC 89 session is epic.

I've just been revisiting his first two solo albums and it was Obviously a fecund time for him writing wise. The B-sides ('Toad', 'Real' , 'Birdy' etc) are lush.

Still no video of that first tour though...
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby dodojojo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:06 am

T, are you a puppet account I have forgotten about? We even share the same initial :wink:

I'm revisiting his initial solo era too. Recently got the deluxe edition of Candleland off of Ebay and have an alert for Mysterio going. The Candleland b-sides are just so good. I listen to them more than the album tracks and I love the album tracks. I wish he had followed up Candleland quickly with an album or at least an EP that was along the lines of Toad and the Dead End. Quirky pop and not as somber as Candleland. It would have likely sold f-all but it would have been brilliant.
dodojojo

Postby T » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

I agree. The Prodigal sons were really good for him....'Pots of Gold', 'Rocket ship' etc Would have made a better follow up than 'Mysterio'..
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby dodojojo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am

One great b-side for an album and you're laughing but there are half a dozen for Candleland. Most artists call that an album. The only two that don't grab me are The World is Flat and Wassailing in the Night. The latter isn't great but that's a fantastic song title.
dodojojo

Postby T » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:53 am

Totally agree.

The B sides then seemed to fall into three categories -

1) full on band sessions - 'Fear of the Known', 'Rocket ship' etc

2) Midi'd up/Drum machine/Looped with guitars- 'The World is flat', 'The Circle game' etc (and the hodgepodge of 'Wassailing')...

3) then the almost demo - like 'The Dead end' which is still a lovely tune.

Have any other tracks or demos emerged from this period?

Always wondered if '..flat' was about/for his daughter...and

I also wondered about 'The Circle game' - has Ian ever mentioned a Love of Joni Mitchell?
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby dodojojo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:17 pm

The lyrics from The World is Flat don't seem to be for a toddler though? I'd like to think Rocket Ship is a love song, but I have sneaking suspicion it may be something else. This took a few listens to grow on me, but I love the rhythm guitar on it. It's one of the few Candleland-era songs with some chugging tempo.

With the 30 year anniversary (how can it be?) of Candleland coming up next year, Ian needs to plan a tour. Entire album plus b-sides. If he's in the mood, he can throw in all 7 Faith and Healing remixes for the encore.
dodojojo

Postby T » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:13 am

Have any of The Prodigal Sons ever been interviewed/spoken about those B-Side sessions?

I'd love to know more about them...so vibrant..
T
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby dodojojo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 am

Did they record all the b-sides with Ian? Or only some and which ones?

Hopefully, with the 30th anniversary next year, maybe Ian will talk more about Candleland and the recording of it.

I have the deluxe edition and I noticed Michael Jobson is credited as songwriter for Candleland (single), I don't remember that on the version I bought back in 1989.
dodojojo

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen