US Tour 2018: reviews, articles, observations, etc.

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

US Tour 2018: reviews, articles, observations, etc.

Postby dodojojo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:42 pm

It's kicking off tomorrow.

Here's a bit of PR work by Mr. Ian McCulloch for the tour.

http://folioweekly.com/stories/the-best-band-in-the-world,20127
dodojojo

Re: US Tour 2018: reviews, articles, observations, etc.

Postby Dr Cheese » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

"somewhere between Cure lite and a darker U2."
Mac would love that I'm sure! :lol:

From the one and only comment:

"No interest in entertaining. I'll always love the music and seeing them is another check off the bucket list but knowing what I know now...they should never have been on it."

Ouch!
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:50 pm

They're going to be in my neck of the woods and I haven't bought a ticket yet. A friend just bought tickets for a show the evening before the Bunnymen show and it may tip me towards to not going to the concert. Two nights out during the work week, may be too much happening :redface: But honestly, I'm on the fence and a huge part of it is not wanting to see Ian and Will mailing it in.
dodojojo

Postby username » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 am

sounds like the reviwer was after disco lights and backing vocals, no wonder you wouldn't like the bunnymen then! and the other review page doesn't work
Dave Smith's second account
username

Postby allthatjazz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:10 am

dodojojo wrote:They're going to be in my neck of the woods and I haven't bought a ticket yet. A friend just bought tickets for a show the evening before the Bunnymen show and it may tip me towards to not going to the concert. Two nights out during the work week, may be too much happening :redface: But honestly, I'm on the fence and a huge part of it is not wanting to see Ian and Will mailing it in.

I've seen them the past three years the closest they'll get to me is a festival in southern Ohio...I saw them last year with the Femmes and it was a shortened set and this year will probably be at most an hour. I think I would make the effort if I was going to see something like what their last English tour offered but it seems to be the same setlist we are always given...I can't imagine not seeing them and yet it's hard to make the effort, a five hour drive, overnight stay, for an hour show I've seen the last three years.
allthatjazz

Postby bunnygirlxx » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:25 am

Does anyone have the complete set List? Only what I saw on setlistfm listed only 12 songs, thinking some must’ve been left out.
bunnygirlxx

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:51 pm

bunnygirlxx wrote:Does anyone have the complete set List? Only what I saw on setlistfm listed only 12 songs, thinking some must’ve been left out.

not necessarily - see previous comments about (a) not being able to see the band and (b) backing vocals
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 pm

dodojojo wrote:They're going to be in my neck of the woods and I haven't bought a ticket yet. A friend just bought tickets for a show the evening before the Bunnymen show and it may tip me towards to not going to the concert. Two nights out during the work week, may be too much happening :redface: But honestly, I'm on the fence and a huge part of it is not wanting to see Ian and Will mailing it in.

This is funny because its true. However, you deserve to be severely disappointed at least once in your life so why not go for it (I think I may have said this before). How many times have I said, that's it, they've had enough of my money, only for me to give it one more go. And to be fair, last year - or was it the year before (see how it works) they played a local festival and the previous time I'd seen em it hadn't gone well, but I thought, its only 20 miles away. And what do you know, probably the best for twenty years (the crocs/HUH tour aside). So now Ithink - don't ever need to go again, because it can only be downhill from now. But you know........
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 pm

FatC, the Bunnymen are missing a trick by not having you as their concert promoter :wink:

Curiously, I am still semi-interested. Part of it is logistics. None of my friends here even know who the Bunnymen are. My childhood friends who I used to go to concerts with are on the other side of the country. One of them is encouraging me to go. I'm not even that bothered about going alone, but the venue is a sketchy walk to the station late at night. I'd do a car service/taxi but am concerned if I'd get one if I'm competing with other concert-goers. It would help if the Femmes were closing this one but unfortunately, it's the Bunnymen. If they went on first, I would leave early as I can pass on the Femmes. Liked a handful of singles back in the 80's but that's about it.
dodojojo

Postby fat cherry » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 am

So I take it you're not 18 any more? I don't know if you're familiar with Binyon's poem about the first world war (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... the-fallen), -age will not weary them etc etc etc. If it were written today it would have to have a line in about, 'it will not make them think twice or find any excuse not to go to a gig'. But I get it - we moved three years ago into the country and are a good hour and a half from a decent sized venue and on the recent tour here I thought, can't be arsed.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:27 am

fat cherry wrote: on the recent tour here I thought, can't be arsed.

I think that on every tour! :lol:
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby dodojojo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Positive review, though it sounds like the Bunnymen aren't firing up the crowds as much as the Femmes.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/dj-mark-schectman-moves-from-the-ticket-to-kvil-10902267
dodojojo

Postby username » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:10 pm

fat cherry wrote:So I take it you're not 18 any more? I don't know if you're familiar with Binyon's poem about the first world war (https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/ ... the-fallen), -age will not weary them etc etc etc. If it were written today it would have to have a line in about, 'it will not make them think twice or find any excuse not to go to a gig'. But I get it - we moved three years ago into the country and are a good hour and a half from a decent sized venue and on the recent tour here I thought, can't be arsed.

don't think twice, it's alright
Dave Smith's second account
username

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen