Hardback 2 vinyl Porcupine/Heaven Up Here

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Hardback 2 vinyl Porcupine/Heaven Up Here

Postby bobkind3 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi, these seem to be still kicking around (albeit at an inflated price) and i'm interested in them despite being mastered from a digital source and supposedly 'thin' sounding. What I'm most curious about is the booklets and their presentation. Are the images and text unique? Can anyone recommend them and are there any jpgs of the inner booklets kicking around? (the ''pack shot' images are not very illuminating.) Thanks in advance.
bobkind3
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Re: Hardback 2 vinyl Porcupine/Heaven Up Here

Postby TenNewPence » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I have all from Crocs to Ocean Rain in this format. It appears to be a Will project as he is describing the time of each recording. Booklet quality is excellent in my opinion text and nice pics. Will dig them out again and see if I can add anything else.
TenNewPence

Postby TenNewPence » Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm

Sorry for the delay, nice weather for once is my excuse.

HUH has a 12 page booklet pics and text written by Will giving a background to the recording

Porky has a 10 page booklet again written by Will. Again a good background to the recording "The atmosphere was bad me and Mac were not really speaking". Even Macca gets a mention when he says "Hello so you are the Bunnymen"

if you want everything by the Buns then get it. If happy with the 2003 25yr CDs stick with them as it is the same track listing.

There is Mobile Fidelity pressing of HUH that may be of better sound quality. Not sure if it is still available.

Hope this helps
TenNewPence

Postby dodojojo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

TenNewPence wrote:Sorry for the delay, nice weather for once is my excuse.
Even Macca gets a mention when he says "Hello so you are the Bunnymen"

Sorry, what does this mean?

Any chance you can scan text?
dodojojo

Postby TenNewPence » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am

The apology was for taking 5 days to reply. Macca as in Paul McCartney, Will was pleased to see that Macca must have heard of the Buns.

Would be difficult if not impossible to scan the text, as the booklet is 12" x 12"
TenNewPence

Postby dodojojo » Tue May 15, 2018 8:40 am

Ah, okay. I've seen Ian referred to as Macca occasionally but that makes sense now.

Understand if scanning isn't feasible--I'm getting reacquainted with the Bunnymen after 30 years and I'm on a mission to read up on everything about the classic line-up era.

You know a smartphone photo scan can be quite readable :wink:
dodojojo

Postby TenNewPence » Tue May 15, 2018 11:18 am

TenNewPence

Postby bobkind3 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:18 pm

TenNewPence wrote:Sorry for the delay, nice weather for once is my excuse.

HUH has a 12 page booklet pics and text written by Will giving a background to the recording

Porky has a 10 page booklet again written by Will. Again a good background to the recording "The atmosphere was bad me and Mac were not really speaking". Even Macca gets a mention when he says "Hello so you are the Bunnymen"

if you want everything by the Buns then get it. If happy with the 2003 25yr CDs stick with them as it is the same track listing.

There is Mobile Fidelity pressing of HUH that may be of better sound quality. Not sure if it is still available.

Hope this helps

Thanks very much for information. Have tracked down and ordered HUH and will move on to Porcupine if that impresses. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sucker for all this 'super deluxe edition' nonsense.
bobkind3
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 pm

Normally I avoid this kind of thing but the other week a mate invited me over to play a bit of vinyl on his super duper system and my original 80s versions sounded a bit muddy - I think I must have got used to it over the years, so this thread has kind of got me thinking, should I, hmmmmm. Half my CDs have spent significant time rolling around the car floor too so.......
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Fri May 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks very much for infigormation. Have tracked down and ordered HUH and will move on to Porcupine if that impresses. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a sucker for all this 'super deluxe edition' nonsense.[/quote]

Yeah we can all fall for the market hype lost count of how many versions formats of the first four I have acquired over the past 30+ years.

Hope you enjoy them and Will sends me a % of his royalties :biggrin:

PS just have to see if Mr FC splashed the cash :biggrin: :biggrin:
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 pm

not yet, and may be a while - other priorities (yes a hanging offence :-) ). This was also prompted by me buying for the first time in ages a new cartridge and stylus for my original turntable (bought in 1985 with funds from three weeks hop picking in Kent) - before I had kids I used to care and nurture it all the time, and to be fair didn't sound all that bad now, or so I thought. Then I dug my original speakers out of the loft and bought a replacement woofer off ebay for one, plugged them into my cd setup (since turntable etc in the bedroom, oo er missus, but there's only me plays vinyl so you know, but before you ask does Mrs FC mind, no, she's very progressive), and anyways that sounded brilliant, better than the more and more compact speakers I've bought over the years. Tried em on the turntable (OK, stop me when I'm boring you, lol) and not so good on the old stuff, good on the new bits (poltergeist etc). So took up my mates offer and his system rega, big fuck off speakers (been divorced 20 years ) etc. Again new stuff and his stuff sounded great, but my old vinyl a bit worse for wear. So started thinking..... I do have a pension I'm thinking of cashing in so could go out and buy loads of new stuff - Mrs FC not that progressive.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 am

Hey FC never boring always amusing. Had to replace my cartridge earlier this year £250 ouch but worth it. Lost most off my vinyl when burgled in early 90's and replaced with CD's. Got feed up with juggling CD's so in the early noughties brought a Linn Sneaky and ripped them all to flac. Instant access via a smartphone, but missed the vinyl feel etc. Over the past ten years or so rebuilt a fraction of the vinyl addicted to 180gm heavy vinyl. Fortunately Mrs Penny does not complain too much as I only have to say two words Shoes and Coats. (she has not progressed to handbags yet) Agree rapidly approaching the big 6 Oh pensions should be spent on vinyl and not Ferraris.
TenNewPence

Postby fat cherry » Sat May 19, 2018 4:56 am

TenNewPence wrote:Hey FC never boring always amusing. Had to replace my cartridge earlier this year £250 ouch but worth it.

Didn't spend nearly that much, maybe that's part of the problem. :biggrin:
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby TenNewPence » Mon May 21, 2018 12:25 pm

fat cherry wrote:
TenNewPence wrote:Hey FC never boring always amusing. Had to replace my cartridge earlier this year £250 ouch but worth it.

Didn't spend nearly that much, maybe that's part of the problem. :biggrin:

I didn't plan to. Had to sit down and take a few deep breath when they told me the price :rolleyes:
TenNewPence

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen