What was you doing 39 years ago

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

What was you doing 39 years ago

Postby King Of Kings » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 am

November 15th, 1978 Liverpool, England; Eric's

Arhh - how far they have strayed

I was 15 years Old listening to the Boomtown Rats and Blondie.

I was doing my mock "o" levels and my girlfriend was Wendy Arm.
King Of Kings

Re: What was you doing 39 years ago

Postby Dr Cheese » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 pm

I'd just turned 17 so I was probably either trying to get served in a pub in Woolton or Gateacre or trying to get my leg over.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby bunnygod1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Drooling over Debbie harry. Things have not changed despite our respective ages!
bunnygod1

Postby Voodoo Billy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:11 am

bunnygod1 wrote:Drooling over Debbie harry. Things have not changed despite our respective ages!

It used to be called drooling, it's now called dribbling, it's just your age. :wink:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm

In 1978 I was listening to Kiss and Cheap Trick pretty much.
I was 13 living in Atlanta Georgia. I had heard of the Sex Pistols from magazines who thought the name was outrageous but had no way to hear them or anything like that. I hadn't heard of the Bunnymen until years later, maybe 1984.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby fat cherry » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:I'd just turned 17 so I was probably either trying to get served in a pub in Woolton or Gateacre or trying to get my leg over.

fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby bunnygod1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Voodoo Billy wrote:
bunnygod1 wrote:Drooling over Debbie harry. Things have not changed despite our respective ages!

It used to be called drooling, it's now called dribbling, it's just your age. :wink:

Mmmmm dribbling over Debbie harry :lol:
bunnygod1

Postby Dr Cheese » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm

fat cherry wrote:
Dr Cheese wrote:I'd just turned 17 so I was probably either trying to get served in a pub in Woolton or Gateacre or trying to get my leg over.

Ah, those halcyon days or yore.

At least I'm not bald though so there is some small comfort to be had in my twilight years. :biggrin:
Every time you call
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby King Of Kings » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

King Of Kings

Postby fat cherry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:52 am

Good one KOK. Asking a bunch of old blokes to bang on about their youth. Funnily enough I recently chucked a load of stuff out - boxes of letters I thought would be interesting in the future but aren't, plus the old diaries which I kept on and off as a young chap. Seems I spent most of my time 'not doing very much', and there's little evidence of what I was listening to - though I recall mainly The Jam and heavy doses of the Who, I even bought a Judas Priest album, Eddie and The Hot Rods supprted by The Radio Stars and Squeeze at Leeds University was a great gig. Otherwise, like Cheesy attaempting to buy beer and chasing girls. Not literally chasing, that would have been bad. Seems I had a thing for the unobtainable ones, lots of knockbacks, though one in particular turned out to be not all that unobtainable, but that was 1979 and allI I had to do was have a leaving party finally leaving the big city. But in 1978 I was 18 (got chucked out of a pub for being under age a week after my birthday - after the landlord had sold us a pint he wanders over to our tabe and suggested we drink up quick and piss off - friendly northerners and that). Went on holiday with the lads for a week in Scarborough, and a great time was had - I even pulled towards the end of the week, lovely girl from Mirfield, called Carol. A levels went well. Our band split up, reformed for a gig in a local mental hospital, reformed properly and split up again (musical differences, me three chord thrash, the rest, zepplin and wishbone ash covers - I mean really. That and the surprise that I was now one of three guitar players and the other two could play all that stuff. I even went to Liverpool in december to see a mate who'd gone there but only got off the halls to go to the nearest pub so no chance of accidentaly seeing the fledgling bunnies. And my mate kept playing Rat Trap over and over again. But at this time in particular - Nov 1978, I was sitting and failing the Oxford Entrance exams, though they don't tell you until just before christmas, which as moz sang, I can smile about it now but at the time it was terrible. Which all led to a strange limbo time in 1979 of not doing much until I finally did leave. And then it was brill.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Dr Cheese » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:03 am

fat cherry wrote:Nov 1978, I was sitting ... the Oxford Entrance exams

WTF! :eek:
Every time you call
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby fat cherry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 am

I know, I often think that to myself. I would like to recall that I maintained my punk credentials by deliberately failing their exam, but no, it just went badly.
fat cherry
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Dr Cheese wrote:
fat cherry wrote:Nov 1978, I was sitting ... the Oxford Entrance exams

WTF! :eek:

Oxford, strange name for a girl. :lol:
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Kounelaki » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:02 pm

I was 10 years old and listening to whatever was on the radio.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby Happy Death Man » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:39 am

I was into the Grease album and the Boomtown Rats, although the years best release for a 9 year old Happy Death Boy was We are Liverpool/ Hail to the Kop by Liverpool FC.
Happy Death Man

Next

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen