Ramblings

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Ramblings

Postby NOF » Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 am

It does genuinely sadden me to see the Bunnymen reduced to the position they are in now.

Whereas some of their peers have either grown in stature (Killing Joke, New Order) or can still comfortably sell out 5,000 capacity arenas despite being past their best (The Cure. Depeche Mode), the Bunnymen are reduced to the chicken in a basket circuit, cranking out the hits for a diminishing audience or playing the third from bottom, 3pm slot at a festival.

Despite the interest in their music (thanks to the likes of Donnie Darko and Stranger Things), they never seem to be willing to capitalise on it by making an album that captures the imagination of those newcomers, just more pseudo dad rock.

Take Killing Joke for example. When they released a new album in 2003, they enlisted Dave Grohl (because of the Nirvana/Killing Joke connection) and made the heaviest album of their career. This garnered them a whole new legion of metal and hardcore fans, who have stuck with them since. And with the original lineup reforming in 2008, the records have become more and more critically acclaimed and the chart positions have been increasing.

I think it's too late for Mac and Will to pull this off.
NOF

Re: Ramblings

Postby black francis » Mon May 15, 2017 12:14 am

I'd like to see an album of music by Will and lyrics by Mac. I get the feeling Will still wants to try new things and challenge himself while Mac seems content to crank out Bunnymen by the numbers albums. It's too late to be a commercial force but they can regain critical respect with an album that isn't the alternative equivalent of adult contemporary smooth jazz. That's what your solo albums are for Mac.

I wish they'd record with Steve Albini or Kevin Shields producing. I was excited about Youth but that was a huge fucken' disappointment.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Dr Cheese » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 am

I think deep down Mac thinks of himself as some sort of Frank Sinatra-esque crooner, hence all those godawful ballads stinking the place up.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Thu May 18, 2017 4:50 pm

You hit the nail on the head my friend.

I don't even want to get started on the lyrics for the last decade plus.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Kounelaki » Thu May 18, 2017 11:47 pm

black francis wrote:I don't even want to get started on the lyrics for the last decade plus.

Down, down, down.
Kounelaki
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Wed May 24, 2017 12:24 am

Do la da
Do la da
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri May 26, 2017 7:45 am

black francis wrote:I'd like to see an album of music by Will and lyrics by Mac.

I think Flowers was a half hearted attempt at that but it's production value had a lot to be desired. It needed that extra polish that a 3rd party producer could have provided. After that they seemed to have gone back to mostly Mac stuff with Will added. I really liked that "A Promise (lofi lullabye #1)" b-side and Supermellow Man.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Voodoo Billy » Sat May 27, 2017 10:32 am

Mr. Brian wrote:
black francis wrote:I'd like to see an album of music by Will and lyrics by Mac.

I think Flowers was a half hearted attempt at that but it's production value had a lot to be desired. It needed that extra polish

Well there's no hope of that now with this brexit bollocks, there'll be no more polish anymore, they're all going home to Warsaw and who can blame them the way that Nigel Faright has been treating them.
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen