Best 4 Song Introduction to EATB

General discussion about the band, live shows, its recordings or bootlegs, etc. You can buy, sell or trade here. You can even post eBay links. If it's about the Bunnymen, it goes here.

Re: Best 4 Song Introduction to EATB

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am

YoYoMan wrote:Oh yeah, I also think smoking affected Mac's voice quite a bit. You can really hear it actually. Even when he wasn't going all opera, his 80's voice sounds a lot different from Evergreen and later. Like I said, I like it though. Even now, I think Mac has one of the best voices period. I think Sinatra and all them smoked too after all.

It's been well discussed here but his voice really took a nosedive, especially live, right after WAYGTDWYL around 1999. It's improved in the last few years.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YoYoMan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:
YoYoMan wrote:Oh yeah, I also think smoking affected Mac's voice quite a bit. You can really hear it actually. Even when he wasn't going all opera, his 80's voice sounds a lot different from Evergreen and later. Like I said, I like it though. Even now, I think Mac has one of the best voices period. I think Sinatra and all them smoked too after all.

It's been well discussed here but his voice really took a nosedive, especially live, right after WAYGTDWYL around 1999. It's improved in the last few years.

Yeah, that's the problem being new to the board. There's all kinds of stuff I'd love to learn about and what not, but I'm sure the rest of the board has already covered it a million times over.
YoYoMan

Postby Mr. Brian » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:33 pm

YoYoMan wrote:
Mr. Brian wrote:

Yeah, that's the problem being new to the board. There's all kinds of stuff I'd love to learn about and what not, but I'm sure the rest of the board has already covered it a million times over.

Well welcome aboard, it's not as active here as it once was, what with Facebook and social media taking over. Amongst all the nonsense here there are some interesting old threads.
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby howmanytimes » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:12 am

YoYoMan wrote: Since you also got into their stuff after their reunion, question for you - did you not also notice the band sounded totally different in the 80's? I found it crazy how different their 80's stuff sounded from Evergreen - and their stuff after. If one was to get into the Stone Roses through this last single of theirs, I don't think they'd be shocked by what they sounded like in 89. Consider they had 21 years between albums, and EATB only had 10. What did you think?

I’ve started my acquaintance with EATB by listening to some Greatest Hits compilation which consisted of both 80’s and 90’s more commercially successful, but less inventive songs (no tracks like Over The Wall or With A Hip). At this stage, I didn’t notice that much difference between 80’s and 90’s material.
When I turned my attention to proper albums, I obviously noticed the difference and I totally agree with Mr. Brian’s points about how Ian’s singing style has changed and the difference in songwriting approach based on all band members’ participation or lack of it. But somehow, I don’t consider this change shocking or disappointing. I prefer bands that change from album to album – it’s all about progress and development. And there was plenty of it during the original band’s existence – e.g., isn’t there a world of difference between HUH and Ocean Rain, which are only 3 years apart?
As I joined the club so much later than anybody else, I try to enjoy what I can get rather than grieve over things I missed. So I’m glad that Ian is in better vocal and physical form now than a few years ago and that last year EATB added an extra concert in Liverpool instead of cancelling the one first announced.
Also, for me personally, lyrics is possibly as big (if not bigger) an attraction of EATB as their music. And all through the years Ian’s lyrics are full of recurring images (stars/rain/sea and other marine themes/ Heaven & Hell, etc.) and twisted coined phrases and other wordplay. So from my point of view lyrics tie 80’s and later material together.
howmanytimes
Just Tuned In
Just Tuned In

Postby Mr. Brian » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:21 am

I don't mind change, I thought Evergreen and WAYGTDWYL were top notch but much different from their 80s stuff, but IMHO their albums have been pretty spotty since then.

You might find this interesting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4760&p=80364&hilit=usenet#p80364
Mr. Brian
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby YoYoMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:07 am

howmanytimes wrote:
YoYoMan wrote: Since you also got into their stuff after their reunion, question for you - did you not also notice the band sounded totally different in the 80's? I found it crazy how different their 80's stuff sounded from Evergreen - and their stuff after. If one was to get into the Stone Roses through this last single of theirs, I don't think they'd be shocked by what they sounded like in 89. Consider they had 21 years between albums, and EATB only had 10. What did you think?

I’ve started my acquaintance with EATB by listening to some Greatest Hits compilation which consisted of both 80’s and 90’s more commercially successful, but less inventive songs (no tracks like Over The Wall or With A Hip). At this stage, I didn’t notice that much difference between 80’s and 90’s material.
When I turned my attention to proper albums, I obviously noticed the difference and I totally agree with Mr. Brian’s points about how Ian’s singing style has changed and the difference in songwriting approach based on all band members’ participation or lack of it. But somehow, I don’t consider this change shocking or disappointing. I prefer bands that change from album to album – it’s all about progress and development. And there was plenty of it during the original band’s existence – e.g., isn’t there a world of difference between HUH and Ocean Rain, which are only 3 years apart?
As I joined the club so much later than anybody else, I try to enjoy what I can get rather than grieve over things I missed. So I’m glad that Ian is in better vocal and physical form now than a few years ago and that last year EATB added an extra concert in Liverpool instead of cancelling the one first announced.
Also, for me personally, lyrics is possibly as big (if not bigger) an attraction of EATB as their music. And all through the years Ian’s lyrics are full of recurring images (stars/rain/sea and other marine themes/ Heaven & Hell, etc.) and twisted coined phrases and other wordplay. So from my point of view lyrics tie 80’s and later material together.

Everybody will have a different take, but I am confident that - if you played a classic 80's EATB song and a song from Evergreen or after without disclosing it's the same band, a large, large majority of listeners will not recognize the songs as being from the same band. When I first fell in love with Evergreen and then found they were the same band who released Lips Like Sugar in an article, I just about keeled over. They don't sound similar at all to me - completely different. It's not just song style like the differences between HUH or Ocean Rain. I mean the whole package - just sounds like different bands - esp. Ian's voice. I contend the only reason similarities are drawn is because people already know it's the same band. Now, I'm not complaining - I like both. I like both a ton actually and consider myself lucky they still make good music. It's just my observation. As I mentioned, if you listen to the new Stone Roses single, I instantly recognize it as Stone Roses - and there was twice as long a time b/w their last stuff & their new singles as there was between the Grey Album and Evergreen. Again, not complaining, just an interesting observation to me. And of course, I recognize others' opinions are just as valid as mine.
YoYoMan

Postby YoYoMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:26 am

Mr. Brian wrote:I don't mind change, I thought Evergreen and WAYGTDWYL were top notch but much different from their 80s stuff, but IMHO their albums have been pretty spotty since then.

You might find this interesting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4760&p=80364&hilit=usenet#p80364

Right, I saw those references, and I thought it was amazing!!! How the heck did they track that stuff down? I think that is cool as heck.

I totally understand how people at the time might have disliked one classic album from the previous one. Like I mentioned, you can't really pick a song that is "representative" of classic Bunnymen. You can pick a song representative of one album, but not representative of all four. Cuz they're each real different and that's bad ass to me - that the style changed with each one but the quality didn't. That said, I think most anybody could listen to a song off HUH and a song off Ocean Rain and still recognize it's the same band.

I think the difference between classic Bunnymen and reformation Bunnymen comes down to two things:

1) They're older, more mellow, and just not interested in doing that mysterious stuff they used to do. That's totally understandable. For what they are going after in Evergreen & after, they nail it pretty well IMO. Heck, I fell in love with Evergreen first after all.

2) To me, Mac sounds like a different singer. Not the same singer doing a different style. But a totally different singer IMO. I'm guessing it must have been smoking imo. Like I said, I fell in love with Mac's voice on Evergreen. When checking out Ocean Rain for the first time- which was mellow just like Evergreen for the most part - I was actually bummed (love it now of course). I did not hear similarities with the voice I liked so much on Evergreen.

That's just my take of course - mine could be an outlier opinion.
YoYoMan

Postby YoYoMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:I don't mind change, I thought Evergreen and WAYGTDWYL were top notch but much different from their 80s stuff, but IMHO their albums have been pretty spotty since then.

My bad - I guess I missed the part where you said their albums had been spotty lately. I defer to you on that. I fell in love with EATB through Evergreen. Recognized their next one seemed good but was not really my style. Flowers was different but also not my style, and then I quit keeping up. I'm afraid I hadn't even listened to Siberia til the other day, but I like the first song a lot actually. Usually when I talk about their new stuff, I'm thinking Evergreen, and that was freaking 19 years ago!!!!! I should check out their newer stuff to form an opinion, but I'm pretty satisfied with their 80's catalog + a little Evergreen as my EATB fix in my rotation for the most part. No real substitutes for that 80's stuff. Seems pretty unique to me.
YoYoMan

Postby YoYoMan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Mr. Brian wrote:Well welcome aboard, it's not as active here as it once was, what with Facebook and social media taking over. Amongst all the nonsense here there are some interesting old threads.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm late to the party.

Curious - do you mean there's an EATB forum on Facebook or something else? I'm not even on Facebook - I'm a weirdo. I thought Facebook just did pics of one's kids and pets. Didn't know it had music forums.

I actually have never met one person who seemed to know Echo and the Bunnymen without my introducing them. They might have heard Killing Moon or something, but I don't think they knew the artist. So, it'd be pretty cool to interact with people who like them - esp. ones who knew them in their prime. They must know all kinds of good music and pretty much must be cool. Also, most of my favorite bands for 20+ years have been British for some reason and most are more popular there, so it'd be cool if there were people closer to that than I'm around.
YoYoMan

Postby Dr Cheese » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:34 am

Mr. Brian wrote:

Listen to Evergreen and Siberia back to back, the degradation in Mac's voice is painfully obvious.
And you know that I'll pick up
Every time you call
Just to thank you one more time
Alcohol
Dr Cheese
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby 5times » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Do it clean live
Rescue
Over the wall
Back of love
5times

Postby Voodoo Billy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:34 pm

Turquoise Days.
The Cutter (live).
Broke My Neck.
Crocodiles (live).
Purveyor of the 'semi-predictable one-liner (which) embodies the essence of the type of comedic crap we grew to love here. VB is a crazy fool'
Voodoo Billy
Über Fan
Über Fan

Postby black francis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:08 am

The Killing Moon (All Night Version)
Clay
Heads Will Roll
All Because of You Days

I have spoken. Please close this thread Mr. Brian.

Then delete my account.
With the Force as his ally he did battle with the Dark Lord. And he showed the measure of a true Jedi at a place called "The Death Star" where hope for the Galaxy was reborn. May all who struggle against tyranny hold his memory in their hearts
black francis
Bunnygod
Bunnygod

Postby YoYoMan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:57 am

black francis wrote:The Killing Moon (All Night Version)
Clay
Heads Will Roll
All Because of You Days

I have spoken. Please close this thread Mr. Brian.

Then delete my account.

Clay? I like you.......a lot........
YoYoMan

Previous

Return to Echo & The Bunnymen